Benefits to Members - our breeders’ awards programs
give lucrative financial incentives
for breeding and racing West Virginia bred and/or sired horses.
- On February 15, 2019 West Virginia Thoroughbred Development Fund distributions of almost $3M were paid out to breeders, owners, and sire owners of accredited WV bred and/or sired horses. Awards are based on ALL of the horse's annual earnings (up to $100,000 of any single purse) at Charles Town and Mountaineer race tracks.
- Supplemental Purse Awards (also known as the 10-10-10 Fund) are quarterly distributions of up to 10% of the winners’ share of the purse to the owner, breeder, and/or sire owner of the accredited WV bred and/or sired winner.
- $800,000 in purse monies are allocated for more than a dozen WV accredited stakes races during the year, including the Robert G. Leavitt Memorial Stakes for 3-year-olds; the Sadie Hawkins Stakes for fillies and mares, 3-year-olds and up; the Frank Gall Memorial Stakes for 3-year-olds and up; and the West Virginia Futurity for 2-year-olds.
- Three accredited races are written every day at Charles Town and are exclusively for registered West Virginia bred and/or sired horses.
More information on breeders awards:
The West Virginia Thoroughbred Development Fund was established to add a monetary incentive for breeding and racing West Virginia thoroughbred horses. Breeders, owners, and sire owners are awarded a percentage of the WVTDF based on the accredited thoroughbred’s earnings at West Virginia race tracks.
The WV Thoroughbred Development Fund distributions (WV Code 19-23-13b(e)):
60% to Breeders/Raisers
- The WV Breeders Classics held annually on the 2nd Saturday in October pays out almost $1M in purses for WV bred and/or sired horses.
25% to Owners
15% to Sire Owners
In 2019 the WVTDF distributed almost $3 million dollars to participants.
The Supplemental Purse Award program also pays breeders, sire owners, and WV resident owners up to 10% of a winning horse’s earnings for that particular race. Claims must be submitted to the WV Racing Commission within 15 days of the purse being awarded. (WV Code 19-23-13)Please refer to the claim form or contact the WVRC for further information and requirements.